McHarp Limerick Cross
Early in the 9th century, Vikings settled the island between the rivers Shannon and Abbey, becoming today’s historic city of Limerick. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Normans left their mark with many fine buildings including the magnificent St. Mary’s Cathedral and a castle, built by King John in 1210. Later, high stone walls were built that divided the city into Englishtown, with the walls, and Irishtown across the Abbey River. In the 18th century the walls came down, slums were cleared and a Georgian city of charm and elegance arose. Carved in the cross are a Grapes, Ivy, Oak and Wheat. The harp is a classic symbol of Ireland and figures into many old Irish myths.
- 15" x 6 1/2"